How to find a doctor or mental health professional

If you feel unwell your best starting point is usually your General Health Practitioner (GP / family doctor). GPs are trained to assess, treat and manage many mental health issues within primary care (the community rather than in a hospital). Your GP can refer you to your local community mental health service or elsewhere if needed. or they may be able to manage your illness themselves.

If you need help to find a doctor or mental health professional there are websites with lists of resources:

  • The Mental Health Foundation – Find a GP or counsellor
  • Most of the universities, polytechnics and even private providers offer free counselling for their students. Check their websites for details.
  • Barnardos New Zealand provides child and family services in communities around the country – Find a service.
  • The Family Services Directory lists organisations in your area that can help.