Guidelines on Physical Activity for Older People
The Ministry of Health’s Guidelines on Physical Activity for Older People are designed to help New Zealanders aged 65 years and over live longer and healthier lives.
The document gives the following five key recommendations:
1) Be as physically active as possible and limit sedentary behavior,
2) Consult an appropriate health practitioner before starting or increasing physical activity,
3) Start off slowly and build up to the recommended daily physical activity level,
4) Aim to increase physical activity on five days per week for at least 30 minutes if the activity is of moderate intensity; 15 minutes if it is of vigorous intensity; or a mixture of moderate and vigorous intensity aerobic activity,
5) Aim to do three sessions of flexibility and balance activities, and two sessions of muscle strengthening activities per week.
Download the guidelines here.